COVID-19 Protocols & Entry Requirements
International Travel Status
Open - Sri Lanka reopened its borders to international guests on 21 January 2021.
Access into Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka's main airports, the Bandaranaike International Airport and Mattala International Airport, are open for commercial aircrafts/international visitor arrivals to Sri Lanka.
Here are the ‘new’ mandatory per-requisites when guests travel to Sri Lanka on holiday.
Fully Vaccinated Guests
- With effect from 1st March 2022, pre-departure COVID-19 testing (PCR/Rapid Antigen) is not a mandatory entry requirement for fully vaccinated Travellers arriving into Sri Lanka.
- Travellers who are departing 2 weeks after the recommended doses of COVID-19 vaccination will be considered as fully vaccinated travellers. Any vaccination type accepted by the country of origin will be accepted.
- Full Vaccination Card should indicate that both doses of the vaccine have been received by the traveller, unless it is a globally accepted single dose vaccine administered at the country of origin.
- Children of 18 years and below departing 14 days after obtaining at least a single dose of COVID-19 Vaccine will be considered as fully vaccinated.
- Travellers infected with COVID-19 within last 6 months, received a single dose of a two-dose vaccine are also considered as Fully Vaccinated. Their departure should be 2 weeks after the vaccination and 7 days after infection.
Prior to travelling into Sri Lanka, guests are required to:
- Have a valid tourist visa. Visas to be applied online. Visit www.eta.gov.lk
- Have a valid return air ticket.
- Visit airport.lk/health declaration/index and fill the Online Health Declaration Form individually and upload the relevant documents (Vaccination record, predeparture COVID- 19 negative test report, Data page of the Passport etc.) to obtain the QR code. A separate form should be submitted for each of the accompanying children (if any). Guests need to obtain a QR code generated after filling the online Health Declaration Form (in mobile phone/ hard copy).
- Visit portal.pionline.lk/covidinsurance to pre-purchase the mandatory local COVID-19 Insurance Cover at a cost of USD 12 (for a USD 75,000 cover over a period of 1 month), including children below 2 years. Non-COVID-19 related illnesses to be covered by the guest’s personal health insurance. Guests need to carry the Insurance Policy Document.
- Have an original vaccination certificate / card (together with a certified copy of English language translation if the certificate / card is not in English or if relevant data are not indicated in English).
• No on-arrival (day 1) PCR test for fully vaccinated travellers.
• Non-vaccinated children up to 12 years will be allowed to travel with their parents without on- arrival PCR
• Non-vaccinated children of 12 -18 years undergo on-arrival PCR testing at the Ministry of Health approved laboratory at BIA (Bandaranaike International Airport) or at any other approved laboratory and inform the result to the local area health authorities. If the on- arrival (day 1) PCR report is negative, they will be allowed to travel with their parents.
• No 2nd PCR for fully vaccinated travellers.
The cost of prepaid PCR test and COVID-19 Insurance is non-refundable in the event of the booking being cancelled since this is a mandatory part of the Visa process. Please get in touch with your Tour Consultant for any inquiries related to non vaccinated/ not fully vaccinated/ COVID-19 recovered travellers.
COVID -19 Testing
COVID-19 testing is available for travellers.
- PCR Tests and Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) are available.
- Cost of test (made payable to testing facility directly): USD 40 ( payment direct will be applicable for specific scenarios only) - Depending on the vaccination status of the travellers.
- Non vaccinated/not fully vaccinated travellers will need to take maximum 2 PCR tests (depending on vaccinated status), all of which need to be pre-paid and pre purchased during the online Visa process. The residing hotel (Level 1) at the time will facilitate in this PCR testing by arranging a mobile medical unit to visit the hotel premises to carry out the tests. If any additional PCR tests are required by the airline OR as advised Sri Lanka health authorities either on arrival or prior to departure (Eg: Non-vaccinated children of 12 -18 years accompanying fully vaccinated parents), guests can pay directly by cash or credit card. For additional PCR testing apart from the pre-paid , the hotels will not be committed to arrange this for you. Alternatively the hotel or the DMC handling your tour will guide you to a Ministry of Health approved laboratory at BIA (Bandaranaike International Airport) or at any other approved laboratory (government or private sector).
- Turnaround time for results is approximately 24 hours, however, this may slightly vary (sometimes 48 hours) depending on the location where the guest is staying.
- For non vaccinated travellers within the first 14 days of the stay, the PCR test results will be communicated to the Level 1 hotel the guest in staying in with an email to guest if available.
Please note: We are merely acting as a facilitator in order to assist Guests who require a COVID-19 test. All testing is carried out by third parties with no association or affiliation to us and we are not liable or responsible for any issues, delays or problems encountered during the testing process or the performance or non-performance of the testing facilities.
(Last updated: 22nd March 2022)
All details above are subject to change depending on the prevailing health protocols in the country.
Please note: The above information has been researched with the utmost care. However, we can provide no guarantee of accuracy and the information and detail change regularly. Please always check travel restrictions both in your home country and the destination you are travelling to before you book and before travel.